Monday, October 13, 2014

Babies Everywhere!

I have two lovely friends here who are having babies here on the island.  They are both due at the beginning of this month and we are all really excited for them.  We decided to throw a small party/shower for them this week.  It ended up being harder to organize than we thought because you can't just run to Walmart and grab all the decorations you want for a reasonable price.  Thankfully we were able to find some things and come up with a few fun ideas for some games.  It was a pretty fun night.

Speaking of babies, if you haven't seen the NutriGrain commercial my title is referencing, you can watch it here: http://youtu.be/JC2gIPnUCgw

This week we decided to go out of our comfort zones a little bit and try a new grocery store.  We drove a little further away to a store called Foodland.  We have heard that they have pretty good prices.  We found that this was true, they had decent prices and were pretty well stocked, but there was a very strange smell coming from the back of the store.  Not sure if that is a normal thing or not, but it definitely gave a bad first impression, I'm not too sure that we will go back.  It's a little sad that trying a new grocery store is a big part of my week...but it really is.

My friend Tessa has been anxiously awaiting the arrival of her pallet of baby stuff that she had shipped down here.  After some drama they finally got it this week and we got to spend the afternoon helping her get it all unpacked and set up before her mom came into town.  It was pretty fun to see all her cute baby stuff, but it was exhausting work.  After an hour we had to all sit down and take a break.  It's amazing how much the heat here really drains your energy.  Speaking of shipping, Evan and I purchased something small and cheap online last month just to see what the process of receiving a package was like and we got to go through that this week.  It was a little frustrating.  If it comes USPS the University carrier service has to pick it up and we get charged a fee for that and then we have to pay customs and taxes too.  But worst of all, I couldn't pick it up on the day that we received it on campus.  I was second in line to pick it up the day I did I had to wait until all the people picking up their packages from that day were done.  It took about 45 minutes and I was pretty irritated by the time I finally got my package.  Definitely not worth it.

This week was an extremely rainy one which made it pretty uneventful.  It is hard to do anything here when it rains because almost all activities are outdoor ones.  Thankfully we were able to get one fun adventure in on Friday morning before the rain started.  A small group of us drove up to Mount Carmel to go on a short hike to a waterfall and rock slides.  We were the only ones there and it was very peaceful and beautiful.  Shortly after we got in the car to drive home it started raining.  Tori and I then had a pretty fun drive (on my scooter in the rain) from the meeting place back to our neighborhood.  We were pretty cold by the time we got there.  It actually took me a couple hours to warm up.  It was kind of awesome, I haven't been that cold in a long time and it was a welcome change!

The trail down to the waterfall
Mount Carmel Falls
Tori and I in front of the falls
Tori and I climbed up next to the falls, it was super slippery
and we got soaked, but we made it!
The rock slides
Preparing to go down the rock slide
I got to close out the week by watching General Conference.  Sadly because Evan had midterms starting on Monday I didn't get to watch it with him, but I enjoyed watching it with friends on Saturday and sitting across from Evan while he studied on Sunday.  It may not have been the best or most eventful week, but at least it had a good ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment