Sunday, October 5, 2014

Our New Ride

This week we decided to try something new and participate in one of the service activities that the SO Organization organizes.  We went to the an orphanage to help the kids with their homework and then when they finished their homework we got to play with them outside until it was time for us to leave.  It was a lot harder than I thought it would be.  I didn't have a clue how to help the girl that I was working with and it was a little stressful.  After we finally finished though it was a lot of fun to play with the kids!  They had a lot of fun running around and playing with our hair.  Overall it was a really good experience.

Getting my hair played with at the orphanage
On Wednesday Evan and I were going heading out to catch the bus and saw a great site.  The scooter shop where we purchased our scooter from had a bunch of crates outside, it had finally arrived!  The next morning I was to pick up some info, get a license and insurance and then pick up the scooter.  I was so excited I could hardly wait to get home from the insurance office.  I got to the scooter shop only to find that it was another day away.  The insurance information had to be taken to get the scooter registered the next morning.  I was so bummed.  Telling Evan the news reminded me a little bit of the time I was supposed to get my braces off and didn't, and then having to face my friends.

Behind the wall you can see the crates our scooter came in
The next morning I went with a group of friends up to Annandale Falls.  I had been there once before, but didn't swim because we were on a campus tour and it was really crowded.  This time I jumped off the ledge a couple times and swam under the falls.  It was a little cold, but super fun!  While there we met Jack the monkey.  While he was sitting on my shoulder for a photo he grabbed my sunglasses off my head the threw them on the ground.  It startled me and made everyone laugh.  On our way back to St. George's we stopped in Port Louis for burger friday.

A group of us enjoying the view
Jack the Monkey
Jack stealing my sunglasses
By the time we got home Evan had picked up our scooter!  A few hours later he taught me how to drive it and then I was off to take maternity photos for my friend Tessa.  I'm still editing the photos, but so far I'm pretty excited about them!

Our scooter :)
Tessa 
Rocking the sun hat
It was a perfect night for pictures!
To end the week the SO Organization had the opening social for the term.  I managed to convince Evan to come with me for free lunch and an hour of relaxing at the beach.  We went on a tube ride and that was super fun.  My teeth were nice and salty by the time we were done from the water.  I tried to keep my mouth closed at first, but we were laughing too hard and I gave up.  It was a good break for Evan before midterm prep week.  

On Saturday night my friends and I went to the church building to join the other Relief Society sisters in watching the General Relief Society broadcast.  The messages that were shared were great, but my favorite part was actually the choir/congregation hymn.  I could hear the sweet Grenadian women behind me singing and as I listened to our small group singing along with the conference center on TV I realized just how amazing the church is.  We always hear it mentioned that General Conference brings church members from around the world together and I have to say that witnessing it in person is a pretty cool experience.  I know it's a little cliche, but I thought it was cool.  It was the perfect way to end the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment