Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Dancing for Money

Since our washer wasn't installed on Saturday like it was supposed to be, I emailed our landlord again on Monday to let her know and she was surprised.  When she called she was told that "we missed them" and they left us a note.  We were home all day...and there was never a note on our door.  I'm not sure how they could have gone to the wrong house when they had been to ours several times already, but when your address is the orange house on Coffee Street in Calliste I guess it can get a little confusing.  Anyway, they FINALLY came and installed the washer the next morning.  

That night we did our first load of laundry in our apartment.  Now if you had seen the plumbing that was put in (which for some reason I never took a picture of), you would worry that when the washer drained the water would come right back out the pipe rather than flow through the pipe.  So I sat on our couch and waited to hear the draining start and sure enough I heard water pouring onto our floor right at the beginning of the first drain cycle.  I jumped up and paused the cycle as fast as I could.  We then pushed the washer over to the sink so it could drain into our kitchen sink and we could finish running the load.  The plumber came back a few days later to add onto the pipes and by the end of our fourth week on the island we officially had a working and problem free washer in our apartment.

Our first load of laundry air drying in our apartment

My first adventure of the week this week was bingo night at Prickly Bay Marina.  You pay 25 EC for a bingo card and the day we went there were 5 games of bingo to play.  At the beginning of the round there will be some small cash prizes as you build up to the black out bingo and those prizes are the best.  Here is what we were playing for:
Game 1: Cash and 2 goats
Game 2: A Grenadian pig farm (4 pigs)
Game 3: A bunny
Game 4: A dinghy
Game 5: A car
The night started out fairly tame, but as it progressed it got more and more interesting.  At the beginning the caller would randomly choose people's cards as dance cards and would make them dance for their prize.  Or if there was more than one winner they had to have a dance off for the prize.  Towards the end every card is a dance card haha.  By the time I won a bingo, the caller tried to make my card a kiss card.  I just said I was married and convinced him that it should be a dance card instead.  So I publicly humiliated myself dancing up on the stage for 50 EC and a free pizza.  The good news is by that point of the night everyone was pretty drunk (except for my cool mormon friends of course) and probably doesn't remember it ever happening :)  By the end of the last game when we were competing for the car two of my friends and I only needed one more number called, but sadly none of us ended up winning.  It all made for a pretty interesting and memorable night.

I accidentally deleted the picture of my almost
black out bingo, but here's my semi-lucky card!
Me up on the bingo stage

Speaking of dancing, this week was a particularly difficult one because I all of a sudden realized just how much I miss dancing and teaching.  Seeing all my old students post pictures of them back at dance on Instagram really got me thinking about it.  I looked at some old videos and pictures of our BYU dance days and convinced myself that for now yoga will just have to be a good enough substitute.  This wasn't our best performance, but it was fun to watch and reminisce anyway!  Here's the link if you feel like watching it: http://youtu.be/-iMxges9YaY

Speaking of yoga, we did headstands this week and my friend who is 8 months pregnant totally rocked it!  She inspires all of us so much, she is one tough cookie.

My yoga headstand

This week's adventures also consisted of two beach days.  The first one was at BBC beach where it started raining the second we got there!  We decided that the water was probably warmer than the rain and went swimming anyway.  When you have good company even a rainy day on the beach can be loads of fun.  I got my first snorkeling experience where I saw a couple of big fish and we also found a starfish!  Our next beach trip was to Magazine beach.  No starfish there, but the snorkeling was incredible!  I felt like I was watching Finding Nemo in real life.  We were swimming around the reef for at least an hour just loving every second of it.  Right before we came in we were talking and when we put our masks back on we saw that we were surrounded by hundreds of little fish.  It was truly an unforgettable moment.

The cool starfish we found
Snorkeling at Magazine Beach
We met this really nice Grenadian, Terry, at Magazine Beach
and he made us these cool birds!
To wrap up our week we went to a bakery to get some donuts early on Saturday morning.  After living across the street from the Provo Bakery for a year I was really starting to miss donuts.  They were delicious and we got to have a fun conversation with the owner after we ate.  She was super nice and I am looking forward to going back one of these days!


1 comment:

  1. Hey girl!!! Love the blog! You will never regret it- I already look back at when we first got here and realize how much I wouldn't remember if I hadnt written it. I printed some blog books at christmas last year also and they were so cheap and easy! Keep it up, I always love to read other's people island stories. Glad you guys are here with us!

    ReplyDelete