Thursday, September 25, 2014

Uppers? Downers?

This week all the guys had their first exams which meant that they got one day off to spend with us. After their exam on Monday morning we all got together and went to grooms beach. We spent the afternoon enjoying the water and each other's company. We ate lunch at a resort on the beach called La Luna and then Evan and I went to Prickly Bay Marina for our dinner of pizza and a milkshake. So far it was the best pizza I've had on the island. The next morning it was back to non stop studying for the guys and trying to find things to keep us busy for the girls.

Evan and I at Grooms beach
The group at La Luna 
I decided to buy a rolling pin so that I could branch out and cook some new things.  So far all of the tortillas we have had are not very good and they are pretty expensive so I decided to make my own!  The first time they were super thick and greasy so I tried a new recipe, better, but still not the right shape or thickness (partially because of my lack of tortilla rolling skills).  After reading some tips online I decided to try again with a different recipe.  I was planning on going to an activity on campus but missed the bus because it left early.  I decided to take my frustrations out on a batch of tortillas and it worked really well until I halved everything but the water.  I made a HUGE mess.  The dough was all over my hands and the counter and it was super hard to get off.  After cleaning up I decided to start over and I'm really glad because they turned out great!
 
The sticky mess of dough
Second attempt turned out much better than the first
One afternoon some of my friend and I decided to cool off at Grand Anse Beach. While there we met a super nice guy. He asked us if we had seen any sand dollars and we said no so he went out with his snorkel gear to grab some for us. When they wash up on the shore they turn white in the sun, but while they are still alive they are a dark grey color and they all have slightly different designs on their shell. After our snorkeling adventure last week we had a couple questions for him about the types of things we found. One of them being sea urchins. He told us that they are only really harmful if you step on one and went and found one so we could hold it. It's crazy, they suction to your hand and you can turn your hand upside down and it will stay on. We also talked about church a little bit with him. He said that he didn't know how anyone couldn't explore the ocean and not believe in God. It was a really fun experience.
 
My cool sand dollar
The other side
After a couple of days it started turning green!
At the end of the week we decided to take a trip into downtown St. George's for some girls to get fans and then to just explore. There's a smoothie shop in the mall there that is amazing! I got a chocolate banana smoothie that was more like a milkshake and was only $3! I have been craving one everyday since. We went into a couple of fun gift shops and explored the spice market. I have heard a lot about the spice market, but had never been. They have some really cool stuff. They of course have spices there, but there's also fresh honey, pure vanilla, and tons of hand made treasures. I can't wait to take Evan there someday.  

On our way back I rode with my friend on her scooter.  At one point we were waiting for the car to catch back up with us and were pulled off on the side of the road in Lance Aux Epines.  This random guy approached us and started talking to us.  He seemed nice and we initially thought he was just being friendly and saying hi, but then he offered us drugs.  Totally unexpected.  We have been offered drugs one other time, but when the dealer introduces himself as the pharmacist it's much less surprising.  Thank you Grenada for always keeping me on my toes!


1 comment:

  1. That sand dollar is awesome! I love the design and the change in color. I want to try that tortilla recipe too!

    ReplyDelete