Friday, September 5, 2014

Washer Woes

Week 3 in Grenada was a very interesting one.  The company that our new washer was purchased from was supposed to be coming by to install our washer on tuesday so naturally I stayed at home all day waiting for them.  We tried to get a time frame that they might be coming, but we were told that they didn't do that.   By the late afternoon I was starting to get really frustrated and impatient and after they didn't show up at all I was extremely mad.  It's amazing how spending the whole day in the apartment really gets to you.  Even getting out for just an hour makes a huge difference.  At the end of the day I wanted some popcorn so I threw a bag in the microwave and turned it on.  After a couple minutes I started smelling something burning, I took the bag out and it had a hole scorched in the bottom of it.  I was so upset that I almost started crying...over popcorn.  And the worst part of it all is that there's nothing I can do about it.  Calling and complaining would do no good because they just don't care.

My burned bag of popcorn.
The next morning my landlord called and the company came pretty early to install the washer, however, they couldn't.  We needed new plumbing (which was obvious since the new washer wouldn't fit where the old one was, but again, nothing we could do).  I swear my landlord knows when I'm about to leave because she always calls to ask if I'm home when I'm about to leave.  It was pool day and I was on my way out when she came by with the plumber.  She said she would take care of it and I could still go if I wanted.  So I left, a decision I would later regret.  Evan had been sick most of the week and the day the plumber came was his worst day, he ended up leaving school early go to home and rest.  He opened the door to a soaking wet kitchen/living room floor.  The pipe that the plumber installed cracked when they turned the water back on and our apartment was flooded.

Don't worry, the excitement doesn't stop there.  The washer guy was supposed to come the next day to install it once all the plumbing was done but wouldn't return any of my landlord's calls and never came.  After calling the company to complain she was told we were "on the list for tomorrow."  Because of everything I had been through I was sick of waiting around all day for nothing to happen, but because it was Saturday we were home anyway.  Nobody came.  So another week down with no washer.

In other news, I tried some new things this week and am adjusting to cooking here.  I have accepted that any time I cook I am going to be dripping with sweat by the end (no exaggeration, it's pretty bad).  I am also learning to cook with new ingredients like eggplant and am getting better at adjusting recipes based off of what I can find in the grocery store that week.  Grocery shopping is getting less overwhelming as well which is good.

First time ever cooking or eating eggplant!
My friends and I decided to try a yoga class near the beach this week and for 3 of us it was our first yoga class ever.  We had a really great time and decided that we would try to go to every class just because it will give us something to do and look forward to and because it's good exercise.

After our first yoga class.
For lunch on Friday I went with some of the other wives to burger Friday.  There's a bakery on the way into downtown St. George's that sells burgers for only 10 EC with fresh buns and all the toppings you could want.  It's one of the best deals there is here for food and was one of the best burgers I have ever had, granted I have lowered my standards a lot, but it did not disappoint!

Friday night was the white coat ceremony on campus.  It was nice to have a good reason to get dressed up and actually straighten my hair.  Afterwards we went out with 2 other couples and got some food and ice cream.  It was a great way to end the week and it was nice to spent time together and forget about studying just for a couple of hours.

Evan looking really excited about going to the white coat ceremony 
Evan, Billy, and Zach getting their white coats put on  
Reciting the professional commitment 
Dr. Evan :)
After the ceremony

1 comment:

  1. 1) I don't seem too keen on your landlord... The whole washer mess makes me so frustrated. That is how I feel about our door. We need a new one and nothing has changed for us either. 2) You look so great!!! 3) Evan looks so normal in a white coat. He will make a wonderful doctor. 4) I love the blog. Keep going! It does get easier. I will be following of course. Also, you are a great writer. You write very naturally. I can hear you in your writing, and that makes me super happy!

    ReplyDelete